Jeffreys

The land which became Camden Town belonged, at earlier times, to the Jeffreys family. Originally from Brecon in Wales, their wealth was made in international trade through the City of London.

John Jeffreys and Sir Jeffrey Jeffreys have memorials in St Andrew Undershaft church in St Mary Axe, City of London.  The original land of John Jeffreys’ house became Jeffreys Square, with eighteen houses, then the Baltic Exchange and is now the Gerkhin.

St Andrew Undershaft, with Gherkin behind - built on Jeffreys' land.
St Andrew Undershaft, with Gherkin behind – built on Jeffreys’ land.

The family history is spread over four generations, from John Jeffreys who was the first merchant, his two sons who continued as traders and financiers, Nicholas Jeffreys the next son, and Elizabeth Jeffreys his daughter – who married Charles Pratt (who became Lord Camden).  The Jeffreys inheritance is a complex story.:

Nicholas and Frances' wedding 9 April 1717
Nicholas and Frances’ wedding at St Andrew’s, recorded for 9 April 1717

Within the story there is also madness in two members of the family

Lunacy inquisition of Frances Jeffreys
Lunacy inquisition of Frances Jeffreys