While Lord Camden and the prebendary of Cantlowes were the landlords, the estate was under the management of their agents – from 1780 to 1803 by Augustine Greenland, Lord Camden’s solicitor; from 1804-1822 by the Mayfair agents Kent, Claridge and Iveson; from 1823 by Joseph Kay, architect and estate manager of Gower Street; and from
1847 by John Shaw, also an architect and estate manager.
1810s. Streets were extended eastwards and included Bayham Street, home (for a short period) of Charles Dickens. The Regent’s Canal was dug from 1815 and opened in 1820 with four road bridges. There was a cemetery for St Martins-in-the-Fields parish.
1820s. Camden Road, from 1825, provided a new axis northwards. New building was along King’s Road, as Jeffreys Street near Kentish Town and Randolph Street at the former manor house. (Thomas Randolph, the prebendary of Cantlowes, was joint landlord with Lord Camden.)
1830s. Streets were extended across the valley of the Fleet
1840s Building along Camden Road and starting on squares either side. The North London Railway was built across Camden Gardens
1850s Continued development along a third axis of St Paul’s Road (now Agar Grove)
1860s The northern streets completed by 1870. The North London Railway was widened and Camden Town rail station rebuilt.
A street list for the Prebend of Cantlowes was created by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1850. It included several ‘terraces’ and ‘places’ that were subsequently within a revised list, by street and house number, at the partition of the estate in 1875.
The large area of land taken by Kirkman and Hendy in the south of Camden Town were developed by sub-leases. And there are individual leases also. The lives of builders can start to be described – some lived in Camden Town in their own houses and on positions in local society.